- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
We all know that milk is great for growing kids as it contains plenty of protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals. Milk is not just for kids, however. As a rich source of calcium and vitamin D, milk is also great for adults because these nutrients help to build and maintain strong bones in the body.
Good to know
Our bones store calcium. When we do not get enough calcium from our daily meals, our body uses the calcium that is stored in our bones. Unfortunately, our bones start to lose calcium at a much greater rate when we are in our thirties. This causes our bones to weaken and increase our risk of getting osteoporosis (brittle bone disease). By drinking milk regularly, we supply our body with the calcium it needs, therefore reducing the amount of calcium removed from our bones.
Delicious Tips to Enjoy Your Milk
- Enjoy it every day. Drinking milk every day helps reduce your chances of suffering from osteoporosis in the future.
- Don’t just drink milk. You can also enjoy a variety of milk products such as cheese and yogurt.
- Milk is great with many things. For added flavour and nutritional goodness, you can add milk to your oatmeals, cereals, coffee or MILO.
- Choose milk that is low in fat and sugar. These products are better for your health, especially if you want to lose weight. Whenever possible, choose plain milk instead of flavoured milk.
- Everyone can enjoy milk. If you are lactose intolerant, you can still enjoy the goodness of milk by choosing lactose-free pre-digested milk or pre-digested milk products such as yogurts. Some of these may even be enriched with extra calcium!