- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
In our busy lives, it can be a challenge to eat three meals a day. It is recommended to eat every 3-4 hours to help maintain energy levels and to prevent over-eating at meal times. Depending on your lifestyle, this could be challenging – especially when you add healthy food into the equation. The key is to plan ahead and to follow the tips below.All meals are important, but breakfast is certainly the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast every day can help to improve concentration, maintain a healthy weight and decrease hunger. But don’t forget about lunch and dinner! Aim to eat three meals every day with these fast and easy meal ideas:
- Try whole grain cereals topped with fruit
- Try eggs and whole grain toast with an orange
- Try NESTLÉ CARNATION BREAKFAST ANYTIME or a Sunrise Strawberry Banana Smoothie to bring with you on the go
- Try cooking extra food at dinner time and portioning it away for the next day’s lunch.
- When you’re in a hurry, grab a frozen meal such as STOUFFER’S BISTRO, or LEAN CUISINE which offer many options that everyone will enjoy.
- Try batch-cooking when you have the time and pre-portioning food away for both lunches and dinners. Crock pots are a great alternative.
- Try using frozen or pre-cut vegetables. This is an easy and fast way to ensure you eat the recommended amount of vegetable servings per day.
- For those nights when you just haven’t had a chance to plan ahead, try one of our STOUFFER’S SAUTE SENSATIONS recipes paired with a salad.
Tips for eating out at restaurants
If you find yourself at a restaurant, keep in mind these tips to assist in choosing healthier options:
- Avoid all-you-can-eat buffets
- Avoid filling up on bread prior to your main course
- If ordering a salad, request the dressing on the side (some salads have so many toppings they don’t require much dressing if at all)
- Don’t try to be a member of the “clean plate club???, take a “doggie bag??? instead
- Educate yourself and look-up nutrition information before hand (if available)
Remember the importance of eating every 3-4 hours. Sometimes you can’t control when you’re going to eat next so try to bring healthy convenient snacks with you wherever you go.
Dietitians.net. Food On The Run! August 7, 2009
Dietitians of Canada. Tips. 2010