- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
20 - 25 min
- For the marinade, place 2 cups (500 ml) Nestlé IDEAL Evaporated Milk with 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice in a bowl and allow to stand for at least 5 min.
- Purée 6 cloves garlic and 1 cm fresh ginger, or crush with a mortar and pestle.
- Add together with ½ tsp (2.5 ml) red chilli powder, ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) coriander powder, ½ tsp (2.5 ml) cumin powder, ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt and 2 tsp (10 ml) lime juice to the milk and lemon mixture and combine.
- Score the tops of 900 g skinned chicken pieces and marinate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- To cook, heat 5 Tbsp (75 ml) oil in a large, thick-bottomed skillet and add the chicken pieces. Cover and allow the chicken to cook through on a low heat, turning the chicken pieces to ensure even cooking.
- For the sauce, scald 700 g tomatoes in boiling water, and peel off the skin. Squeeze out the pips and mash to a semi-pulp with a fork or a potato masher. Cook the tomato pulp in a frying pan for 5 min or so, until the liquid has evaporated slightly.
- Add 75 g chilled butter and ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) paprika; after the butter has melted, let it cook for 1 min only.
- NB: taste the sauce at this point and if it has no sourness, add a few drops of vinegar.
- Put ½ tsp (2.5 ml) dried curry leaves into a grinder or use a mortar and pestle and crush to a powder. Add to the sauce, with ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) garam masala powder.
- Season to taste.
- Combine chicken and sauce and mix well.
- Serve immediately, with Naan bread.