- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
- Heat the oven to 180˚C and lightly grease 6 ramekins.
- To make caramel, put a saucepan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add ½ cup (125 ml) white sugar.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, keep sugar moving constantly in saucepan until sugar is completely melted and a rich medium brown colour (caramelised).
- Pour caramelised sugar into each of the ramekins. Set aside.
- To make the flan, wash and trim a punnet of strawberries, reserving 4 or 5 for garnish.
- Place strawberries, ¾ cup (180 ml) white sugar, 6 eggs and 1 can (385g) Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk in blender and mix thoroughly.
- Ladle strawberry mixture into each ramekin.
- Cover each ramekin with foil.
- Place ramekins into a large open, oven-proof pan, such as a roasting pan. Add very hot water to the pan. The ramekins should be submerged approximately ¾ in the water. (In Spanish, a “water bath??? is called a “baño Maria???).
- Carefully place the pan on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove each ramekin from the water with care, uncover and to allow to cool.
- Once cool, chill in fridge. When ready to serve, run a paring knife around the outside of each ramekin to loosen the flan. Then, place a serving plate on top of each one and flip it over. You may need to tap the ramekin to force the flan to fall onto the plate.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and sprigs of mint.