- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
35 - 40 min
1 large (28 cm) or 2 smaller (23 cm) loaves
- Place 3 cups (750 ml) cake flour and 1 x 10 g sachet instant yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm Nestlé KLIM Milk, 3 tablespoons (50 ml) butter or marg, ¼ cup (60 ml) white or brown sugar, 3 Tbsp (45ml) apricot jam, 1 tsp (5 ml) salt, 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon, 1 tsp (5 ml) mixed spice, ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) ground cloves, 1 tsp (5ml) Nestlé Cocoa Powder, 2 eggs, ½ cup (125 ml) seedless raisins, ¼ cup (60 ml) sultanas or mixed cake fruit and mix well.
- Gradually add sufficient of an additional 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead 5 minutes or until smooth, no longer sticky and slightly elastic.
- Return to bowl, sprinkle with flour, cover and allow to rise in a mildly warm spot for 30 - 40 minutes until doubled.
- Grease one medium loaf tin (28 cm) or two smaller tins (23 cm), or shape buns as you wish.
- Lightly knock dough down and shape dough into a neat loaf or 2 smaller loaves and place into tins.
- Do not fill tins more than 2/3 full.
- Place tins in a warm, spot to rise 20 - 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 170 ˚C while the loaves are rising. Bake about 25 minutes for the two smaller loaves or 35 - 40 minutes for the large loaf until well-risen, lightly browned and a metal skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tins for a few minutes, turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For hot cross bun icing paste, take 1 ½ cups (375 ml) icing sugar and ± ⅓ cup (80ml) Nestlé Dessert Cream.
- Add enough Nestlé Dessert Cream to icing sugar to make a moderately firm paste – soft enough to pipe but not runny. Spoon paste into a piping bag fitted with a small (1 cm) plain nozzle.
- To make a cross, pipe three lines of paste lengthwise over the loaf and then several lines crosswise.
- Serve with butter and cheese or honey or jam.