- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
4 - 6
- For the lamb shanks, preheat the oven to 160° C.
- Place 1.5 kg lamb shanks, 1 Tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh rosemary, 2 large roughly hopped leeks, dried peel from ¼ naartjie, 2 large chopped carrots, 1 apple or quince, cored and roughly chopped, 50 ml balsamic vinegar, 1 cup (250 ml) water and 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine in a casserole dish.
- Season with 2 tsp (10 ml) salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook slowly for 4 hours or longer, until the shanks are tender.
- Add 1 can (410 g) drained red kidney beans and thicken the sauce with a little cornflour.
- Meanwhile, for the creamy samp, soak 1 cup (250 ml) samp in water for about 3 hr then drain.
- Cook in fresh water until just soft.
- Add 2 cups (500 ml) Nestlé Dessert Cream and 1 sprig of fresh rosemary and cook for a few more minutes so that the rosemary flavour can develop.
- Add 5 tsp (25 ml) butter and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Leave to stand for 5-10 min to allow the samp to absorb the Nestlé Dessert Cream and thicken.