- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
55 -60 min
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Blend 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) flour, ⅓ cup (80 ml) icing sugar, ¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds and 125 g cold butter until crumbly.
- Add 1 egg yolk and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) iced water. Process until combined.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a shallow (2 cm deep) round 24 cm loose-based flan tin. Lift pastry into tin; press into sides and trim edge. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place flan tin on an oven tray and bake blind ** for 15 minutes.
- Remove and turn oven down to 160° C.
- Remove paper and beans; bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned and remove from oven.
- Turn the oven up to 180°C.
- For filling, whisk together 1 Tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind, cup ⅓ (80 ml) lemon juice, 3 eggs, ½ cup (125 ml) castor sugar and ⅔cups (160 ml) Nestlé Dessert Cream.
- Pour lemon filling into pre-baked pastry case and bake for about 30 minutes, or until filling has set slightly.
- Remove from oven and cool before placing in fridge until cold.
- For hard caramel top, sprinkle with enough icing sugar to completely coat the tart and, using a blowtorch, heat the top until it melts into a firm caramel layer.
- Place baking paper over the pastry base, cutting the covering wide enough to make sure it covers the edges as well.
- Place dried beans, dry rice, dry lentils or pie weights on top of the covering. This prevents the pastry base from rising through air bubbles, which would leave it uneven and weakened.
- Place the pie dish in an oven at the temperature and for the length of time suggested by the recipe.