- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
8 - 10 slices
- For pastry, grease a 28 cm loose-bottomed tin or 25 cm deep pie dish and preheat oven to 200˚ C.
- Place 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour, ¾ cup (180ml) semolina and 1 tsp (5 ml) salt in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Add 1 egg, 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water and ½ cup (125 ml) melted butter and mix until a pastry is formed.
- Press evenly into the selected dish, pressing out thinly in the corners. Refrigerate while making filling.
- For filling, place 2 Tbsp (30 ml) oil and 2 cups (500 ml) chopped onion into saucepan and cook gently, stirring from time to time until tender.
- Add 1 cup (250 ml) spring onion, ½ tsp (2.5ml) cayenne pepper, ½ tsp (2.5ml) garlic and herb seasoning, toss with onion and cook a few minutes.
- Spoon onion mixture into pastry case.
- Beat together 4 eggs, 1 can (290 g) Nestlé Dessert Cream, ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt and a pinch of sugar and pour over onion mixture.
- Sprinkle with white pepper, place in oven, reduce heat to 180˚ C and bake for 25 mins or until set and lightly browned.
- Cool in the tin at least 10 minutes before removing rim. Cut wedges and serve from the base or cool completely, transfer to a serving platter and reheat 8 -10 minutes at 160˚C before serving. (Crust is delicate and may break while hot.)
- Optional side dish: cook 12 mini beef or lamb sausages in a greased saucepan until browned and cooked through.
- Add 24 cherry tomatoes and toss with sausages to heat.
- Tip: for 12 small tarts, use standard-sized muffin tins and prepare only half the filling.