- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
- In a dry frying pan, toast 1 cup (250ml) desiccated coconut over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until rich golden, about 5 mins. Transfer to dish and let cool.
- Half-fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and place a stainless steel bowl over the steam. Add in 3 cups (750ml) coconut milk, 1 cup (250 ml) Nestlé Dessert Cream, 3 trimmed, peeled, halved and crushed lemongrass stalks and ½ tsp salt (1.25 ml) and stir well.
- Simmer in double boiler for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 4 egg yolks and ¾ cup (180 ml) sugar together till pale and thick.
- Gradually whisk half of the hot coconut milk mixture into the cold egg mixture.
- Slowly whisk this mixture into the remaining coconut milk set over the saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until thickened and velvety, about 20 mins.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp (15ml) cornflour with 2 Tbsp (30ml) coconut milk and add to the coconut milk mixture over the heat.
- Continue whisking to a custard consistency, about 5 mins more. (Mixture should coat the back of the spoon).
- Pass the custard through a fine sieve set over a bowl, place in an ice bath and let cool.
- Press a layer of cling film directly onto the surface of the custard and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, pour the custard into an ice cream container and freeze.
- After 1 hour, stir in the toasted coconut and mix custard well.
- Level out the ice cream and top with 1 cup desiccated coconut.
- Return to the freezer until set.