- NUTRITIONAL WELLNESS
- KNOW YOUR SERVING
- BODY SMART
- MEAL PLANNING
- TIPS & TRICKS
- UNDERSTANDING FOOD LABELS
Now that spring has sprung and swimsuit season is approaching, it’s that time of the year where you start thinking about getting healthier. Suddenly that Triple Chocolate Fudge cake in the back of your refrigerator seems like the perfect response to a winter that won’t end. You have three choices: Ignore your craving, give in or find a substitute. For many of us, giving in is the only option – and a small piece can quickly become half the cake or more. Sound familiar? These simple tips can help you win the battle against your cravings:
10 TIPS TO CHEAT YOUR CRAVINGS:
1. Put on your ‘skinny jeans.’ The Chocolate Cherry cheesecake’s appeal may decrease if your pants are too tight. And remember, E-l-a-s-t-i-c waistbands = overeating.
2. Knit a sweater or snuggle with your partner. Even a five-minute distraction can help ward off cravings.
3. Curb your foodthusiasm. Portion out a small amount of the food you crave and set the rest aside for another day.
4. Feed the beast within. Can’t say no – ever? Eat a small amount of the food you crave every day. A chocolate a day can keep binge-eating away.
5. Forget your failures. Succumbed to those oh-so-gooey Chocolate Chip cookies? Don’t beat yourself up. Instead, create a plan of attack for your next craving.
6. Mix it up. A varied diet – including carbs, protein, fat and increased fibre – helps you feel full longer, so you’ll be less likely to give in to cravings.
7. Ban the bad. Crave-proof your home and office and keep healthy snacks on hand to tackle any hunger attacks. And never, ever go shopping when you’re hungry.
8. Brush the Pearlies. A minty-fresh mouth can prevent you from diving into the sweets and can even make your hunger pangs disappear.
9. Keep a food journal. A food record can help you identify eating patterns and cut cravings. For example, if you notice a sugar craving every afternoon, try a healthy snack or change up your lunch.